Sunday, September 2, 2012

Brief Farewell

Well over a year ago, I made a pledge to the Republican Party that I would stay in their party for at least a year.  Ron Paul's candidacy was the reason I extended my pledge.  I decided that if he were treated fairly at the national convention, and if the eventual nominee said anything against immigration, even just illegal immigration, I'd stay in the party and give [Romney] a fair hearing against the Constitution Party candidate in November.

There's no reason for me to spend much time on this.  The national convention decided that the results of the Maine state convention were unfair in a pro-Paul, anti-Romney direction.  This is an intensely tendentious conclusion, because fairness never prevented Republicans from excluding Rep. Paul, and Paulist viewpoints, from GOP events over the campaign season.  I don't like being put in the position of defending a libertarian (and an ex-Libertarian) I barely agree with (Paul's stand on The Issue, immigration, is weak in a way that is completely consistent with his libertarianism).

The GOP establishment has made me do that, so I say: Farewell.  Your nomination process told me I could support someone who was against indefinite detention, affirmative action, health care centralization, and the rest of the establishmentarian attack on my people.  You told me my vote would be counted.  You lied, as I fully expected you too.

I'll be changing my registration to unaffiliated at my next opportunity.