Saturday, April 21, 2012

Small Business and the Working Man

I admit to a sort of sentimentality when it comes to small, unique business establishments, with their colorful proprietors, local flavor, and friendly signs reading "Closed for the Day".  


Usually I drive by those signs and stop when I get to Wal-Mart with its friendly, culture-free, character-free, local-color-free "Open" sign.  I'm not going there because I like Wal-Mart.


Why don't I shop at small proprietorships instead?  


Because they're generally only open when I am at work and on Saturday, the only day I have to spend with my family, not to mention the only day I can make the trip to the garbage dump.  Certainly I can get time off from my job, but I'm not going to do it to go shopping when I need to save days for doctor, dentist, registering the car, etc.


In my town, apparently small business can turn a profit largely serving welfare recipients, teenagers, and independently wealthy people.  Bully for small business.  On the other hand, I also notice a lot of signs reading "Out of Business".   

2 comments:

rjp said...

Because they're generally only open when I am at work and on Saturday, the only day I have to spend with my family, not to mention the only day I can make the trip to the garbage dump.

Do you live in a town that doesn't have public or private garbage pick up?

Years ago when I was living in Utah, I visited a friend and that was going to help me do some work on my car who had to take his garbage to the dump. The dump was dumpsters five or fifteen miles up some canyon road. I asked why it was so far from town. Bears.

Olave d'Estienne said...

My town doesn't have anyone picking up garbage for free. We'd rather not pay any fees, and we've heard rumors (and seen evidence) of a few high-spirited vibrant canine types snacking on other people's garbage cans when they're left by the road. Grodie!