Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Free Market Distributist Budget: State & Local

State finances and local government finances probably each deserve a post of their own, but because my data source handles them both at the same time and because they share their proposed main tax source, the Henry George-style land value tax, I am dealing with them both in the same post.  (This is a followup to my post proposing an ideologically-similar budget for the Federal government.)  

This post is even more abstract than the first, because I am dealing with the statistical average state and city (not even using medians, but arithmetic means!)  The goal of these numbers is to show the potential benefits of fiscal discipline, even at this late hour.  

State and Local Revenue Sources - - annual revenue in dollars per capita (state   |   local):
Property taxes - - 275   |   1099
Motor fuel taxes - - 118   |   4
Alcoholic beverage taxes - - 17   |   2
Tobacco products taxes - - 54   |   2
Corporate income taxes - - 153   |   26
Motor vehicle license taxes - - 64   |   5
Other taxes - - 172   |   74
Highway charges - - 22   |   16
Port facilities charges - - 3   |   9
Parks and recreation charges - - 5   |   24
Sewerage charge - - 2   |   126
Solid waste management charges - - 2   |   47
Other charges - - 56   |   138  

State and Local Expenditures - - annual outlay in dollars per capita (state   |   local):
Libraries - - 2   |   35
Veterans' services - - 3   |   0
Highways - - 294   |   199
Port facilities - - 5   |   
Police protection - - 39   |   262
Fire protection - - 0   |   131
Correction - - 155   |   86
Protective inspection and regulation - - 30   |   18
Natural resources - - 66   |   33
Parks and recreation - - 17   |   114
Sewerage - - 4   |   150
Solid waste management - - 9   |   70
Financial administration - - 71   |   59
Judicial and legal - - 68   |   71
General public buildings - - 12   |   37
Other governmental administration - - 17   |   77
Interest on general debt - - 146   |   189  

State Fiscal Balance - - +5
Local Fiscal Balance - - +28


All spending items in the above are funded at their actual per capita levels circa 2008.  All other spending items I have zeroed out (education, social services and income maintenance, public utilities other than solid waste and sewerage, etc.)  As far as revenues go, many taxes were abolished but I left the total levels for the other taxes alone.  The main exception is property taxes, which I have replaced with land value taxes at the same overall revenue level but with more (20%) going to states (in reality, states collect very little in property taxes but I needed to alter this since the biggest of the abolished taxes, the sales tax, currently funds state programs much more than local).

3 comments:

jmperry said...

A bit late in commenting, but I've enjoyed your distributist series a lot. It's fine to point out what's wrong with the present system, as rightist blogs are wont to do, but it's more impressive to see someone actually lay out a better alternative.

Pat Hannagan said...

Merry Christmas Olave!

I have a question for you as I am developing a post on this. Would you classify your blogroll as representative of the Alt-Right?

Olave d'Estienne said...

Well I am a bit late in publishing you both. I get warnings when comments come through but email can be pretty slow.

JMPerry, just wait. I am developing a really detailed proposal for one of the countries that, all going well, will spring up after a couple of lumbering North American giants dissolve. (You can think of that as a "teaser" sort of preview.)

Pat, yes, I would consider my blogroll to be mostly alt-right. I can't define alt-right but I know it when I see it. I adjust my blogroll every now and then and I mainly keep people on it I've read recently, but I haven't done that in quite a while so it's quite outdated. Also, I haven't read ANYONE much recently except Dennis Mangan.