Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Pledge to the GOP

Oddly enough, I am a Republican.  I say "oddly enough" because I've never really felt like I belong with them.  They care about things like abortion and capital gains taxes which I know a little about but don't have strong feelings on.  (Is there a reason to treat capital gains as different from ordinary income?  If so, what is it?)  In contrast, I care mainly about the National Question, a sheaf of questions most Republicans don't think much about, and a term most Republicans haven't even heard of.

Recently I became a Republican anyway.  It amuses me to hear people patting the Tea Party on the head and telling them it's way past their bedtime, as if anyone has done more to shake up the leftist establishment in as little time as the Tea Party has been around.  But anyway, I acknowledge that the Tea Party may get nothing done, in which case the zero dollars and ten minutes I have invested in their movement will all go to waste. 

I make the following offer to the Tea-flavored Republican Party to which I currently belong:

I will continue to be a Republican through the end of 2011.  If the Republicans have met my conditions at that time, I will give them another year.  Since most of what the Republicans can do can be vetoed by President Obama, my requirements are only for serious attempts to do the right thing, defined as two thirds of Republicans in each house voting my way (whether or not their attempts succeed).  They must vote:
  • For a complete pullout of all US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, to begin when the law is passed and be complete, under several estimates, no more than 12 months after that time
  • For construction of a real (non-virtual), San Diego-to-Brownsville border fence, and sufficient funding for it
  • For all statutory provisions underlying affirmative action to be repealed (this is admittedly vague; most of the pillars underlying affirmative action were put their either by executive fiat or judicial fiat;  another Riggs Amendment would suffice)
  • To repeal the Patriot Act
Action to roll back gun control, secure prisons, or officialize English would help but is not required.  Note that I am not demanding that the Republicans privatize Social Security, abolish the income tax, or anything radical (and economic).  The Tea is not yet strong enough for that.

The criteria under which I will judge the Grand Old Party at the end of 2012 will be determined in a year's time.

I encourage other Republicans to publish similar pledges.  Let's get the show on the road.

5 comments:

hailtoyou said...

I'd point you to a nice, quick retrospective on the past 30-plus years of Conservatism, its various flash-in-the-pan "revolutions" and the cold reality that sets in after they "succeed".

A horse with this record would sooner will sold for meat to Central-Asians than bet on.

The Pagan Temple said...

I know exactly how you feel, I feel like an outsider to the Republicans myself. I don't even feel comfortable calling myself a conservative, I prefer to think of myself as a federalist, which isn't always necessarily the same thing.

On capital gains, you are basically investing money that you have already made and paid taxes on. If it was taxed at the regular rate, a lot of people would not feel as much of an incentive to invest that money. They could stick it in a savings account or in a safe if they wanted, so they keep it as low as feasible in order to keep it working in the economy.

Pat Hannagan said...

I echo Cam's comments at M4 B Lode. Though our Liberal Party does not reflect everything that I'd hope for it is the far better option than the others.

On the Tea Party front, they seemed to have gained more traction in the media than anything else of recent times as far as advancing a conservative cause and they should be supported for it.

Anti-Abortion should not be thrown aside as a matter of conservative principle. However, for the sake of political expediency it needs be put on the back burner.

"all statutory provisions underlying affirmative action to be repealed" Yes, exactly. I want the same from my Libs. If they cannot pursue a policy of meritocracy then they are next to useless, being no more than a speed hump in the ongoing Leftist slide.

B Lode said...

Thanks for visiting. M4 Monolog has been excellent reading of late.

Affirmative action is a bet issue of mine, since it should, by all rights, unite the civic-nationalist right with the pro-white right. Still, in the US its effects are somewhat hidden by the "preferences yes, quotas no" policy which demands quotas be used secretly while forbidding them from being used openly. A very clever and utterly wicked policy, that one.

And now I am getting the sense that anti-meritocratic policies are poisoning Australia as well! We truly are in the same boat.

Sagat said...

B Lode,

Your political views seem to align with mine. I reluctantly became a Republican because of Ron Paul. I was involved in the original Tea Party events that were organized around his candidacy.

The new Tea Party is a much different animal than the Ron Paul r3volution. It's much more of a social conservative affair, which I only partly align with, but they've made real change and I hope that they cause a shake up in the federal government.